Sheila Beckham, RD, MPH
Sheila doesn't hold back giving her time, energy, or passion as Chief Executive Officer of Waikiki Health Center. She thinks outside the box to create innovative solutions that improve health care for the community.
Under her recent leadership role, there has been significant growth:
Sheila has big plans for Waikiki Health Center, but having an even greater need among the community is all the motivation she needs to make a difference.
- Every spare inch, hall closet, and the lanai at the Ohua Clinic were re-purposed to create more exam rooms
- health care services were added: pharmacy, case management, chronic disease management, retinal imaging, and more
- equipment and facilities were updated, improving patient care through HIT: Health Information Technology (e.g. enhanced accountability, clinical outcomes, research and utilization)
- staff doubled and the budget more than doubled to better serve the community
- the PATH Clinic was acquired, integrating perinatal and pediatric care to the organization's scope of medical services
- the Next Step Project homeless shelter in Kaka'ako was placed under our management
"Sheila would not ask anyone to do anything she wouldn't do herself. She's the first to start cleaning up a spill or help a patient get to their appointment. She works hard every day, making sure everyone gets the care they need to live healthy, including employees."
- Adrianna O'Donnell, Chief Marketing & Development Officer
Prior to joining Waikiki Health Center in 2008, Sheila was Director of Preventive Health at Waianae Coast Comprehensive Health Center, Assistant Professor at the University of Hawaii's School of Public Health, Clinical Nutritionist at Kapiolani Medical Center, and a Nutrition Consultant. She has numerous publications related to her work with health disparities. Sheila received her Master's of Public Health from the University of Hawaii and Bachelor's of Science from Whittier College.